Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Somebody answer the phone

I always wonder what the Indian Consulate does. It is supposed to have two purposes. One, it is supposed to be of service to Indians settled in that country. And two, it is supposed to interact with the country where it is set up with regards to giving visas or creating a positive impression about India.

I do not see the Indian consulate doing either in the USA. Well, the process of getting visas has been outsourced, which should reduce their workload and give them enough time to, amongst other things, pick up the phone. I have tried to call the Indian consulate in Chicago and the ofice of the Consulate General of India in New York many times today. I tried to reach different divisions in the hope that atleast one of them would pick up the phone and respond to my query. My hopes were in vain. How can the Consulate serve the Indian community if it does not even pick up the phone or reply to emails. I guess the reason the visa process was outsourced was not to reduce cost, but to ensure that work got done. What sort of an impression does that give to the rest of the world..................well wait, maybe it does get across the Government message........thats India.............Incredible India!

1 comment:

Piyush Mundra said...

Shldn't Indian Embassy in US celebrate X'mas vacation? :P :P