Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Zara hatke, zara bachke, ye hai Mumbai meri jaan

First of all I apologize to my blog followers (all two of them) for deserting you for so long. I get into the habit of writing blogs and then disappear as lethargy creeps in and inertial forces get higher. There have been several posts I have been contemplating but never got to writing. Today, however, is different. Today, I feel at home. I am in Mumbai all over again. Not physically there but the conditions remind me of home.

I woke up in the morning to a roar of thunder. A thunderstorm had been raging all night. I got ready and got breakfast. All of a sudden, water started gushing in through the window sill. I woke up my roommate (Yashwantrao, he of "Yashwantrao gele Americela" fame) and we started moving everything away from the water, wiping water off using towels and keeping a bucket where required.

Yash's mother told me to not go today but I told her that I would be disowned by my citypeople (Mumbaikars) if I stayed back. I prayed to Mumba devi (the goddess after whom Mumbai is named) and started for work. On the way, I passed Suman Nagar (the name I gave to the area that was flooded as Suman Nagar always is) and had to drive VERY slowly to avoid damage to the car. I encountered the same problem near the parking lot at work but drove around it.

So all in all, what problems do we encounter in Mumbai during the monsoon:
1) Stormy weather all the time....................check
2) Flooded roads..................................check
3) Dripping houses................................check

And yet, the Mumbaikar walks on. Hail Mumbai, Hail Mumbaikars and Jai MumbaDevi.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Aaaah nostalgia!!

Unknown said...

Real nostalgia...naah don't believe me...didn't enjoy the getting drenched in the rains in amchi Mumbai! Thank God (read: Dashabhuja and Parvati devi) for Pune! Although running into the middle of the road to wave and plead a bus to stop where it is supposed to stop was the fun part in Pune :)

Unknown said...

Oops forgot to add Shri Dagdusheth and Shivaji maharaj for Amche Pune :-)

Unknown said...

Jai Shriram!...Srsly Rain Gods were furious yesternight, a much needed rain in a hot and humid weather..:)

Shriram Paranjpe said...

@ Madhuvanti - nostalgia it was. I enjoyed the day

@Asmita - you forgot Dagdusheth? I doubt you are a Punekar either. Please send a pic of the pati outside your place

@Kunal - It was indeed a lot of rain. About the highest i have seen in the states