Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Cuil - Not so cool


I read last week about the new search engine cuil (pronounced cool). Started by an ex googler and her husband, it is supposed to have a bigger search database than google. So, I had to try it out. I tried it out just like you try any new search engine. I searched my name in it. It gave fewer sites than google and missed out a lot of honorable mentions including my own website.


My review: Not so positive

Now I knew people would question as they would call it, my narcissistic methodology, so I used another experiment. I tried to search for 'cuil review' on google and cuil. Google gave me what I wanted. Cuil did not. Here are print screens of the experiment.

Cuil results for "cuil review"


Google results for "cuil review"

So my non technical review on cuil.................Giving a plate full of cooked rice to someone asking for a chocolate cheesecake does not make you a better restaurant.....................similarly in search, u gotta be relevant, not big.



PS: I know a lot of you will be asking me questions about the methodology but I consulted and found out that Kingsley had also used the same method to test..................i guess it is from a famous paper and is the globally accepted method.

1 comment:

Abhijit Padmakar Jadhav said...

Hey..more than search engine or anything.. I really like your approach (or Kingsley's). I think this is cuil (pronounce COOL hehe ) way to judge !!!!