Saturday, July 07, 2012

A letter from the Queen

I just recently learnt that my great grandfather had received a commendation letter from the Queen for his service in the Indian Army during WWI. Now, typically, this would not be a matter of great pride since the Indian Army really meant the British army in those days and working for the oppressive rulers, let alone being commended for it) was not a badge of honor. However, it is the deed not the result that makes me proud. Apparently, back then, the British gave his regiment just one set of uniforms. Since the soldiers had no change of clothes, they got various skin diseases. His repeated requests for at least 2 sets of uniforms that could be washed were denied. So, he got his whole regiment to strip during an important parade and burn all their clothes. This got him suspended and led to an inquiry into his act which brought forth the truth about the horrible conditions these soldiers faced. The soldiers were given two new sets of uniforms. For this bravery, my Great Grandfather got a commendation letter from the Queen which my mama recently found amongst his possessions. Such strength of conviction. Such courage to do the right thing. I am so proud and hope that I will have similar courage if and when the time comes. The letter from the Queen is just the cherry on top of this cake but it is the cake that is the key. I salute thee Great Grandpa, I salute thee!

No comments: