Sunday, March 09, 2014

Starbucks Discoveries - A marketing question

I recently read about Starbucks launching a new blended beverage, Starbucks Discoveries, in a trade publication that is read by those in the food industry. I was interested in trying it out (this is from a couple of months ago). I checked that it was available at the local Wegmans grocery store and went searching for it. It took me a while to find it after the following steps
1) I looked for it in the likely aisles (dairy, rerigerated, bottled drinks and coffee) and could not find it.
2) I then asked a Wegmans Associate (typically very very knowledgeable about locations of products on their shelves as compared to any other grocery/big box store). The associate pointed me to the bottled coffees section as the only location that could have it.
3) Not finding it there, I asked a manager and was told that they do not carry it.
4) Not wanting to give up, I walked up to the customer service desk and asked about it. The person had never heard about it and I had to pull up a google search of the product for him to believe that it existed.
5) He then looked it up on his system and found it to exist in the refrigerated dairy section. He called the associate in charge of the section and asked where I could find it.
6) The refrigerated dairy associate had no idea that such a product existed at which time the customer service person said "Funny, it shows up on my system in that location. Must be a glitch".
7) The associate checks back and lets the customer service person know about its location.
8) I walk back and the associate is just putting the packs in the location (right below the milk, which is where it still is located - funny position for such a drink).

So, if you read in the near future that Starbucks decided to discontinue its Discoveries beverages and the Starbucks rep talks about how it was not something customers wanted, ask the question, how are customers supposed to find it if
(a) The product is not advertized and no one knows about it and
(b) The few random folks who hear about it cannot find it in the stores?

No comments: