Thursday, March 05, 2009

Am I a plagiarist?

I just realized today that I have been plagiarizing for a long time now and most of us are on the same path. My gmail signature has a quote by Frank Tibolt (for the heck of me , I do not know who he is) - "We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action". I have been using this quote for about 2-3 years and have always gave Frank credit for it at the end - ie it was a reference in every mail.

However, the ethics of referencing demand that you put the idea or statement in quotes if you are not paraphrasing it. I had not been doing that. Apologies Mr. Tibolt. After a lot of thought, I have corrected the error (nah, I did not paraphrase it, just put quotes around it).

I write this post to enlighten all other scintists who are making this mistake. Let us all change our signatures.......................lets take a giant step to end plagiarism.

No comments: