Monday, March 23, 2009

My monkey moment

This may be a bit out of context but I was just thinking yesterday about a few childhood memories and remembered my own monkey moment ala the Bhajji-Symonds saga (for non cricket fans more info here).

I forget what standard I was in then but it involves a friend of mine (let us call him Symonds for now). Well, Symonds was the pet student of a teacher with whom I was not on the best of terms. She called him a monkey (bandar was her exact word) in class out of great affection. I made the mistake of calling him the same out of school and discovered that he was not actually a monkey but a rat coz he ratted me out to the Proctor aka the teacher (could not leave out the pun wrt the match refree could I). Next thing I knew, I was getting a long lecture on good behavior and how not to abuse your colleagues which I treasure to this day.

Well, there it is, my very own monkey moment. Though in my defence, Symonds did not consider it a racial offense. On the other hand, I wonder if I would have gotten off lightly by claiming to say "maa ki" instead of monkey.

No comments: